At Airedale Junior School we learn:
At Airedale Junior School, English is embedded into the whole curriculum. Through developing language and the written word, we equip children with the skills they need to confidently carry them along their learning journey.
We support the children to:
- Develop their reading and listening comprehension skills.
- Develop their understanding of and ability to write a wide range of text types including fiction, poetry and non-fiction texts.
- Develop a secure understanding of grammar and punctuation.
- Develop their ability to understand spelling rules and apply their spelling across the curriculum.
- Develop their handwriting skills with the aim that the majority of children will have a fluent and cursive writing style by Year 3.
- Develop their spoken language skills in order to speak confidently and appropriately in a range of contexts and to a range of audiences.
Look at what we have been learning in English:
Famous In This Field:
Cressida Cowell- Author of the How to Train Your Dragon series.
Cressida Cowell is currently the Waterstones Children’s Laureate (2019 – 2021). She is the author and illustrator of the bestselling The Wizards of Once and How to Train Your Dragon books series, and the author of the Emily Brown picture books, illustrated by Neal Layton. The Wizards of Once series has been translated into 37 languages and has been signed by DreamWorks Animation. How to Train Your Dragon has sold over 8 million books worldwide in 38 languages and is a major DreamWorks Animation film franchise, as well as being made into a TV series on Netflix and CBBC.
Cressida is an ambassador for the National Literacy Trust and the Reading Agency, a Trustee of World Book Day and a founder patron of the Children’s Media Foundation. She has won numerous prizes, including the Gold Award in the Nestle Children’s Book Prize.
English: Further Information & Links: