At Airedale Junior School we learn:
At Airedale Junior School, English is embedded into the whole curriculum. Through developing language and the written word, we equip children with the skills they need to confidently carry them along their learning journey.
We support the children to:
- Develop their reading and listening comprehension skills.
- Develop their understanding of and ability to write a wide range of text types including fiction, poetry and non-fiction texts.
- Develop a secure understanding of grammar and punctuation.
- Develop their ability to understand spelling rules and apply their spelling across the curriculum.
- Develop their handwriting skills with the aim that the majority of children will have a fluent and cursive writing style by Year 3.
- Develop their spoken language skills in order to speak confidently and appropriately in a range of contexts and to a range of audiences.
Look at what we have been learning in English:
Famous In This Field:
Tom Fletcher- Author of The Creakers and The Christmasuarus
Tom Fletcher is an English songwriter, singer, musician, children’s author, and a ‘YouTube’ video blogger. He is best known as the guitarist of the famous pop–rock band ‘McFly.’ Following his exit from the band ‘Busted,’ Tom began writing songs seriously. Since then, he has penned down several hit songs, which include 10 UK number one singles. He has also written 21 top 10 singles. He has worked as a songwriter for bands such as ‘Busted,’ ‘One Direction,’ ‘5 Seconds of Summer,’ and ‘The Vamps.’ Fletcher was born in Harrow, London, into a family that was inclined toward music.
In 2012, Fletcher published his first children’s book, which he had written along with Dougie Poynter. The book was named ‘The Dinosaur that Pooped Christmas,’ and sold over 72 thousand copies. It was the most popular debut children’s novel of 2012.
Following the success of the book, he released his next book, ‘The Dinosaur that Pooped a Planet,’ in August 2013.
He released his debut solo novel, ‘The Christmasaurus,’ in October 2016. The novel was based on the magical journey of a young boy named ‘William Trundle,’ who embarks on an adventurous expedition on Christmas evening. Following the release of the novel, he wrote another novel, ‘The Christmasaurus: Musical Edition,’ which was the musical version of the previous book.
His books for children that are some of the bestselling novels of recent years have been translated in over 30 languages. One of his latest releases was ‘There’s A Dragon in Your Book.’
English: Further Information & Links: